It may be hard to believe but HEALTHY mac & cheese does exist and oh boy it kicks regular mac & cheese’s ASS! It’s so simple and delicious and I am slightly obsessed with it right now.
– 1/2 Butternut Squash
– 50g Light Cheddar Cheese
– Whole Grain Pasta (enough for 2 people)
– 1 Onion
– 1 vegetable or meat stock cube (I used veg)
– Boiled Water
– 1 tbsp of butter
– Cut the butternut squash in half, remove the skin (I used a peeler to do this) then cut in to small cubes and set aside in a pot.
– Cut the onion in half and dice into small rounds
– In a frying pan heat the butter and add the onions, sauté on a low heat for 20 minutes until soft, golden and fragrant.
– While the onions are sautéing, boil water and cook pasta according to directions on packet.
– Once the onions and pasta are done remove from the hob and set aside.
– Add boiling water and stock cube to the pot with the butternut squash and cook until tender/can be cut with a fork (usually 5-7 minutes)
– When the butternut squash is done drain most of the stock away but keep about a cups worth. Add the onions to the butternut squash and blend until smooth adding stock water as you go to get the consistency you want.
– Add pasta and cheese then the butternut squash mix and heat to melt the cheese.
And you are done! This recipe should take about 30 minutes to make if you can juggle three pans on the hob at once!
It is just right for the chilly winter nights that are coming in – creamy, cheesy and that belly warming feeling you need
The Newbie x
I promise I will make it again at the weekend and take photos for you all I didn’t think it was going to turn out as well as it did! Keep up to date with what I am doing on Instagram right here!